ADSM-L

Re: ADSM errors on NT platforms

1997-09-03 12:54:22
Subject: Re: ADSM errors on NT platforms
From: Daniel Thompson <thompsod AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 11:54:22 -0500
Gretchen,

  To allow a user to backup and recover files using ADSM without granting
them admin authority they must have the following user rights.
  Backup Files
  Restore Files
  Manage Auditing and Security Logs

I got this from one of the readme files with the current PTF.  I tried it
and it does work, however the non-admin ID I granted this authority was not
able to backup the registry still.  The reason for this at our installation
is that we use a NT policy that prevents any non-admins from editing the
registry.  You may or may not still have this problem.

There is a work around, if you really desire a backup of the registry.
Grant your users the above rights and add backupreg NO to the options file.
 When they run their backups they will NOT backup the current registry.  In
order to get a reasonably current copy of the registry you can do 1 of
several things.
1) Run a daily script using either the NT or ADSM scheduler that runs a
DSMC REGBACK ENTIRE -password=xxxx command.  This will backup the registry
despite the BACKUPREG NO options.
2) Run a daily script using the NT scheduler that runs the REGBACK utility
to backup the registry to a location on the hard drive.  When your users
run their backups you will get that registry backup.

Let us know what you think of these options.

Good Luck,
  Dan T.