ADSM-L

Netware backup slow

1997-08-28 10:09:03
Subject: Netware backup slow
From: Mike Martin <mmartin AT BHSET DOT ORG>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 10:09:03 -0400
Hi everyone!

Our site is new to using ADSM and we are having a problem backing up
our Netware 4.11 server.

Our config (using TCP/IP) is
Netware==>100mb==>155mbATM==>3172==>ESCON==>OS390

At first, our problem appeared as a timeout problem which we now circumvent
using a high value for COMMTIMEOUT (like 3600)   Now, the problem is
performance.

Using the QUERY SESSION command while the backup is running, we observe periods
when the ADSM server is waiting on the Netware client -->

Sess State: RecvW
Wait Time: 15.0 M

Also, after the backup, we use the QUERY NODE command and find a high
communitcation wait: "Pct. Comm. Wait Last Session: 64.02"

It takes 5 hours to backup 1 gig!   What can be causing these long waits?
The backup "flys" until it hits one of these waits.  If it weren't for these
periods where it seems to hang up, the backup would be pretty fast.
I don't think we have any networking problems...(large FTP's, etc. don't have
this type of problem between our OS/390 and Netware).

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!  -Mike Martin
mmartin AT bhset DOT org