ADSM-L

Re: BACKUP taking to long.

1997-08-26 04:25:42
Subject: Re: BACKUP taking to long.
From: "Ulrich Klose - VICTORIA Versicherung AG - Abt. RB3" <devici01 AT IBM DOT NET>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 04:25:42 -0400
On Mon, 25 Aug 1997 11:31:04 -0400, Wilfredo Castillo wrote:

>Hi ADSMers.
>
>Any idea about setting options in a MVS server to improve the transfer
>rates for backup/archive. In my installation 800 MB take 5 Hours to
>complete.
>
>My enviroment is ADSM 2.1 running in MVS server connected to clients
>through TCPIP. I have UNIX, NOVELL and WINDOWS 95 clients.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Wilfredo Castillo
>Intesa - Venezuela

********************************************************************************************************************************
Hi Wilfredo,

in the beginning of using ADSM here in our company there was the same problem
(Server:OS/390 Rel.2;
Clients: OS/2, Windows NT, Netware). Meanwhile we know that there are two
sources for this problem:
IBM 3745: A very small bottleneck for the datatransfer to the host. It is much
better to use an OSA-Adapter.
TCP/IP-Routing: Tune the routers for the datatransfer between the clients (PC)
and the server (host).
We started with 200 MB/hour, now we are never slower then 1GB/hour.

Ulrich
VICTORIA Insurance, Duesseldorf, Germany