ADSM-L

Archive directory structure

1997-08-20 17:05:37
Subject: Archive directory structure
From: Mark Rizzo <RizzoM AT MAIL.DEC DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 17:05:37 -0400
ADSM folks,

I need some advice regarding file system layout on a
backup/archive directory.

Currently, we copy 2000+ files daily, into a file system
called  /adsm_data/data1. The following days, we one-up
the sub-directory to ../data2 (and so on) and again copy the files into
this dir.. Each night ADSM archives and deletes the files.

We are considering removing the sub directory level and just copy,
archive, and delete the files from the upper-level dir /adsm_data.
My question is, during a recover or query etc., is there any disadvantage
with having ten's of thousands of files in a single directory? Or
should we try to maintain levels of sub-directories? I'm not talking
about tape transfer rate performance, but mostly concerned
with the ADSM database (e.g.  query archive). I want to make
sure there isn't some obscure limit called max_files_per_dir=10000.

Thanks,
Mark J. Rizzo
DOD
rizzom AT mail.dec DOT com