ADSM-L

Re: AIX LVs > 2GB

1997-08-18 14:30:35
Subject: Re: AIX LVs > 2GB
From: David Ong <david AT BABYONG.NSC DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 11:30:35 -0700
At 07:59 PM 8/15/97 -0400, you wrote:
>  With Level 13 of the 2.1.5 server on AIX 4.2,
>the 2GB limit per volume is lifted.  Even though AIX 4.1.5 allows
>filesystems to surpass 2 GB, it does not allow files
>to be larger than 2 GB;  The APIs do not support
>the 64-bit access that became part of AIX 4.2. It
>doesn't matter if it's an LV or a JFS file.  Without
>the API support, it's no dice.
>
>Barry Fruchtman
>ADSM Development

Barry,
Can you please clarify a few things for me on this issue? I am currently
running ptf13 level of 2.1.0 server code on AIX 4.1.5. Because we are
getting 4.5gb SSA drives to use for storage pool volumes, I would like to
be able to define 4.5gb drive as a 4.5gb storage pool volume. Now I realize
that in AIX 4.1.5 the maximum file size under JFS is still 2gb. However,
that is not the subject of contention. I am trying to define the storage
pool volume using AIX raw logical volume, eg /dev/rlogvol1, which, in my
limited knowledge of AIX, should bypass the 2gb filesize limitation of JFS.
Why then is ADSM having a problem supporting LVs greater than 2gb?
Your note only referred to the 2.1.5 version. Was that just an oversight or
do I really have to convert to the 2.1.5 version? As for the APIs, we are
using SQL-BackTrack from Datatools. Is that then going to prevent us from
going to storage volumes > 2gb?
Thanks in advance.

Have a nice day or whatever's left of it.

David Ong
National Semiconductor Corp.