ADSM-L

concurrent bkups

2015-10-04 18:06:06
Subject: concurrent bkups
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 8/11/97 4:56PM
I suppose the answer to this is "it depends"  :-)

Let's make some assumptions..... The machine has 1 file system (c:), and both
ADSM tasks are using the same node name and DSM.OPT file.  If so, then the
most likely issue is contention on the machine itself.  I don't think
anything bad would happen (Outside of a disk drive over heating???)
Seriously, the first task would start through, looking for files that had
changed, and therefore qualified for backup.  Depending on how far of a head
start it has, it will most likely do all of the work.  The second task will
be looking at the same disk, and most of the data it sees will have already
been backed up, and so it would have not much to do, and so may "catch up".
I don't think I have ever seen anything that says when the client gets the
directory information - if it loads all of the backup "knowledge" about this
machine at the beginning of execution, or if it loads it as it needs it.  If
the former is true, then all of the data that remains to be backed up by the
first client will also be backed up by the second.  If he gets it as he needs
it, there still may be some of this going on, but it might be less.  You also
might see the two clients playing leap frog with each other as they go
through the remaining data.

Of course, you could have two clients with different Node names - then each
would back up independently, regardless of what the other was doing.  If you
had more than one file system, then the DSM.OPT file could use the domain
statement to limit what each one sees and processes.

There are probably other possibilities I haven't considered - it's early
here.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
Date:    8/11/97 4:56 PM

hi,
can someone explain to me exactly how adsm handles this situation?

i manually start a backup of a clients pc using the backup gui.
while that is running a scheduled backup of the same pc starts.

how does adsm handle this second scheduled backup?  does this speed up
the overall backup?

thanks,
steve