ADSM-L

Reply to Re: Reply to ADSM MV

1997-08-11 08:35:00
Subject: Reply to Re: Reply to ADSM MV
From: Mike Stewart <STEWAJM AT AUDUCADM.DUC.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 07:35:00 -05
*** Original Author:  ADSM-L @ MARIST - ** Remote User **; 08/10/97 09:51am

>Date:         Sun, 10 Aug 1997 10:23:53 -0400
>Sender:       "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
>From:         "Pittson, Timothy ,HiServ/NA" <tpittson AT HIMAIL.HCC DOT COM>
>Subject:      Re: Reply to ADSM MVS Server Perf
>To:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

Jerry,
        ADSM takes it buffers from above the line....  if you wanted to take
the conservative route you could start out by bumping the bufpoolsize to
8192, monitoring the cache hit ratio, then raising it as necessary.  I
believe the minimum recommended cache hit ratio for ADSM is 98% (maybe
one of the IBM folks can verify this).  If you're running with the
REGION=40M that's included in the proc supplied with the ADSM code,
you'll probably have to increase that also.  We used to run fine with
REGION=96M but I believe the recommended minimum value is now 128M.   We
saw a significant improvement in performance when we increased the
bufpoolsize and got our cache hit ratio back in the high 90's so I
suspect you'll see the same kind of improvement.

Good luck !!!

Tim Pittson
tpittson AT himail.hcc DOT com

>----------

*** Comments From: STEWAJM - Stewart, Mike; 08/11/97 07:22am

An additional note, what you are doing here is trying to
remove IO waits...ADSM isn't burning as much CPU time as it
wants because it is having to wait on db IO.

Although eliminating the db IO will save some CPU time,
I think your net result will be to see ADSM's CPU usage
increase...probably significantly during, say,
expiration processing, where ADSM should be spinning
one of your 8 processors at 100% utilization (but only one
since he will dispatch on only one processor at a time).