ADSM-L

Backup Strategy

1997-08-08 12:50:22
Subject: Backup Strategy
From: Richard Walls <Walls_Richard_C/cpslo_employee1 AT POLYMAIL.CALPOLY DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 09:50:22 -0700
We are just beginning to implement ADSM and already we are losing
control of our tape pool. Our users would like to be able to retrieve
data as far back as six months as well as have seven generations of
backups. It seems to be possible to have *180 copies* of a file that
gets changed every day if Retain Extra Versions is set to 180! Is that
correct?

What I would really like to do is something similar to the way we do
mainframe backups. A full volume backup on Sunday followed by
incrementals Monday - Saturday. The incrementals (6 GDG's) are rolled by
the next Sunday backup. Weeklies kept 5 generations.

Is this possible in ADSM by using a combination of backup and archive
copy groups? Is anyone doing anything like this?

Any advice is appreciated.

Rich