ADSM-L

Re: ADSM & IBM 3570 Magstar MP Tape System

1997-08-07 19:28:47
Subject: Re: ADSM & IBM 3570 Magstar MP Tape System
From: Alan Hamilton <alanh AT PRIMENET DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 16:28:47 -0700
I'm using a new 3570 B12 right now.  I assume you can access the drive
under AIX -- it shows Available in lsdev -C and you can manipulate it with
tapeutil.

You also need to have device support module 2 registered.  If you don't,
buy it from IBM (if you haven't already) and use REGISTER LICENSE xxxxxxx .
 The license keys may be in /usr/lpp/adsmserv/bin/README .

First you need to define the library.
DEFINE LIBRARY libname LIBTYPE=SCSI DEVICE=/dev/rmt0.smc
Note the .smc -- that's essential (if it's rmt1 or rmt2, use that, but keep
the .smc)

Next you can define the drive to ADSM.
DEFINE DRIVE libname drivename DEVICE=/dev/rmt0,16
The 16 indicates the "slot" that the drive occupies.  Since you have a B11,
I think that only has one drive.  A B12 has two, so for that you'd also
need to do
DEFINE DRIVE libname drivename2 DEVICE=/dev/rmt1,17
You only need to define the library for the first drive.

Finally, you need to define a device class.
DEFINE DEVCLASS devclassname DEVTYPE=3570 LIBRARY=libname MOUNTLIMIT=1
If you have a two-drive library, use MOUNTLIMIT=2

If you get an error from ADSM at any one of these steps, post it.

      /
  /  *  /  Alan Hamilton
 *     *   alanh AT primenet DOT com

> From: Pat Mills <Pat_Mills AT SONYMUSIC DOT COM>
> From: Pat Mills <Pat_Mills AT SONYMUSIC DOT COM>
> Date: Thursday, August 7, 1997 08:32 AM
>
> I'm a newbie with ADSM and am having major problems getting it up and
> running. I am running on a IBM RS/6000 R40/AIX 4.2 and a IBM 3570 Model
> B11. The version of ADSM is 2.1.5.13 and the Atape driver is 3.2.0.5.
The