ADSM-L

Moving DB volumes (AIX)

1997-08-04 10:04:48
Subject: Moving DB volumes (AIX)
From: Reinhard Mersch <mersch AT UNI-MUENSTER DOT DE>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 16:04:48 +0200
Hi,

I am in the process of reorganizing the AIX volume group containing
the ADSM volumes. When a DB volume has to be moved to a different
disk, there seem to be two alternatives (the DB volumes are mirrored):

a)  Have enough free space in the DB and delete the DB volume. If it is
    the last copy, the deletion will in effect copy it's content to
    other DB volumes.

b)  VARY OFF the DB volume (provided there is still an online copy),
    move the AIX logical volume to the target disk, VARY ON the DB Volume.
    The VARY ON should trigger a synchronisation process.

Alternative b) looks attractive to me, but I never went this way. Has
anybody done it? Are there any drawbacks? How long will the
synchronisation process last (compared to copying the volume as
to be done in alternative a)?

--
Reinhard Mersch                     Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet
Reinhard Mersch                     Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet