ADSM-L

Any ideas on how to perform a monthly incremental in addition to a daily?

1997-08-01 16:03:38
Subject: Any ideas on how to perform a monthly incremental in addition to a daily?
From: Doug Thorneycroft <dthorneycroft AT LACSD DOT ORG>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 14:03:38 -0600
I've been asking around for any ideas on how to perform a montly
incremental backup. Here's the situation. . .

We currently run a daily incremental with a retention of 3 versions for
30 days.

In addition to this we would like to perform a monthly backup (12
versions for 365 days.

The problem is that we don't have enough time to perform a full backup
or archive, and ADSM doesn't support an incremental archive.

So far the best solution we have heard is to regester a second client
for each server (with a different node name) and use it to run an
incremental once a month.

Does anyone have a better idea?

Note: What we would really like to see is a command that would set a
retention period of 365 days for all active version currently in
storage. This would allow us to perform what we want at the database
level, and not require any backup processing at all.

P.S. I accidently sent this message to the command server earlier..
sorry.