ADSM-L

Re: Seagate Backup Exec for NT

1997-08-01 09:45:24
Subject: Re: Seagate Backup Exec for NT
From: dan thompson <thompsod AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 08:45:24 -0500
Bryan,

 We are about to go production Monday 08/04 on our Intel NT boxes using
Backup Exec driving ADSM.  We have verified the following:

a) We can perform Full, Incremental and Differential backups of the
Exchange Directory and Exchange Information Store.

b) We can use Backup Exec's restore functions to direct restore to the
original location and other Backup Exec/Exchange Servers.

c) We can get a Backup Exec/Exchange server to access anothers data and
restore it without that other server being up, but you have to edit a
registry entry.

We have verified this to both a MVS and RS/6000 ADSM Server.

After these tests we have the following observations and recommendations:

a) Although our plans are currently to use ADSM native to backup the
machines as normal and Backup Exec to backup the Exchange data, various
consultants from Microsoft and Vanstar (and I recall participants on this
forum) suggest using  Backup Exec to backup the entire server.  Apparently
"Bare Metal" restores are much easier with Backup Exec.  I plan to verify
this soonish.

b) Understand that Backup Exec drives ADSM as if it were a big virtual tape
device with a loader attached.  I defined all of the exchange servers to
use the same virtual tape magazine and each server has its own range of
tapes/slots in this magazine.  If you want to restore data from another
server you need to define the range for that other server and run a catalog
process for the media in that slot.  You can then run a restore using the
data in that tape/slot.  (you have to modify the registry to get the
catalog process to run).

c) Backup Exec requires the definition of a "Position Information" storage
pool on the ADSM server.  I have concerns about how to back this storage
pool up with the correct synchonization with backups from the clients.  If
I back it up out of sync, I doubt it is usable.  This storage pool is used
by Backup Exec as some sort of data store for the information it uses to
actually recall the data from other storage pools.

d) My unit is not responsible for the extraction of individual mailboxes
etc. from the Exchange data, only the restoration of that Exchange data.
These processes are currently being verified by the responsible unit and
are not the easiest thing in the known universe.  You should be very clear
what your backup/restore needs are so that you can plan your backups and
test your restores.  (That is probably the most obvious thing I have
written this year).

I guess the point of this note is that the process works but you had better
know MS Exchange and Backup Exec well to get the results you will want.

Good Luck,

  Dan T.