ADSM-L

Re: Errors on Windows/NT Client with TCP/IP

1997-07-31 11:49:01
Subject: Re: Errors on Windows/NT Client with TCP/IP
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 11:49:01 -0400
We were getting those messages often, also from clients that would
reconnect 20 minutes later and back up successfully.

Check the messages in your ADSM server log at the time the client got
this error (remember to allow for the likelihood that your server and
client's time clocks are not exactly in sync).

Look for this message:
        07/17/1997 14:50:09  ANR0481W Session 5218 for node xxxx
terminated - client did not respond within nn seconds.

I found that most of the problems occurred when clients were compressing
very large files.  Sometimes the client (especially Windows clients)
just gets tied up compressing a large file, and takes too long to get
back to the server.
The server then times out the connection with the ANR0481W message.
Then the client IP stack (I think) issues those errors below cleaning up
the debris from the disconnected session.

I searched the archives of this list for ANS4017E and found several
people recommended changing the server COMMTIMEOUT parm from 60 seconds
(default) to 300.  I made that change and it has eliminated most of the
timeouts.

You can also have clients time out when they lose their brains for other
reasons - a disk or directory error that causes the backup client to
loop or lock up, for example.  Those you resolve it by correcting the
problem in the client's file system.

Hope this helps.