ADSM-L

WNT Client can't backup registry

2015-10-04 18:06:44
Subject: WNT Client can't backup registry
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 7/23/97 8:51AM
We have encountered the same problem.  The problem, as we defined it, was that
to back up the registry in NT, you must have Admin rights.  If you do not, you
will fail.  Adding the backup authority will only work if backup authority has
been given admin rights.

Obviously, on an NT server, Admin rights are carefully guarded, and this
probably means that only the administrator id can do the backups, but then if
you are using the NT service to do the backup, then this isn't an issue. Users
without admin authority cannot do incrementals of the whole machine, but you
probably don't want them to, anyway.

On an NT Workstation, there are likely to be two schools of thought.  One school
says that since it is a single user machine, there is no real advantage to
keeping the admin functions limited, and so you probably will let the user have
admin authority.  The other school says that to keep overall administration of
many NT workstations under control, someone plays Big Brother, sets up the
admins, and doesn't give out the password, or admin authority.  I won't say
which I prefer.....

Hopefully this clarifies the problem and solution.  As for the person who said
that they didn't change anything, I would submit that they must have changed or
removed access rights (or they were previously running incrementals from the
admin id, instead of the individual's id.....)

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
Date:    7/23/97 8:51 AM

ADSM client on Windows NT cannot backup the registry attempting to do an
incremental backup.  The following messages are received:

ANS7643E An error occurred saving the registry key
ANS7641E Registry Backup failed

Everything works fine if logged on as an administrator.  I've added user
rights to a non-administrator user (Backup Files and Directories, Managing
Auditing and Security Log, and Restore Files and Directories), but it still
fails the same way.  I've also given the user permission of Full Control on
all the major registry keys.

Do you have to run as an administrator to run the incremental backup?  Do
you have another solution?

Thanks for the help.

Tom
thomas_zinter AT csufresno DOT edu