ADSM-L

node identification

1997-07-22 17:03:23
Subject: node identification
From: Sean D Curran <scurran AT EPSILON DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 17:03:23 -0400
Question about how the server knows who the client is, and how
to find it for a scheduled backup.

Our guess:
----------
The dsmc schedule daemon must be running on the client for the
The dsmc schedule daemon must be running on the client for the
server to perform a scheudled backup. When the daemon starts
up it contacts the server at which time it gets info
regarding when the next scheduled backup is to take place.

At that time, some info must be passed to the server (maybe IP, maybe
ethernet address) which enables the server to "find" the client
when the scheduled backup is ready to kick off.

We figure this is the case because nodes not in the local server
host file _AND_ not in the DNS are backed up just fine.

Can anyone confirm this and/or fill in the details?

TIA,
Sean

--