ADSM-L

Re: Background process monitoring

1997-07-17 11:51:15
Subject: Re: Background process monitoring
From: Sheelagh Treweek <sheelagh.treweek AT COMPUTING-SERVICES.OXFORD.AC DOT UK>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 16:51:15 +0100
Tom,  What you point out is important to many sites.

Last April the then Chief architect of ADSM (Paul Bradshaw) attended a
European ADSM Workshop at Karlsruhe.  At that time I made a presentation
point about collecting and analysing adsm performance data.  One of the
things I highlighted was the many inconsistencies of process start and end
and the recording (or very often the lack of recording) of exactly what work
a process did.

Another example of a process that is difficult to track is MOVE DATA - that
doesn't report who it is when starting in terms of process id, nor when it
ends.

Only the "newer" processes/commands like BACKUP STORAGE actually tell you
how many files/how much data they have moved.

Some processes tell the command line they have started (like BACKUP DB) but
others that e.g.  are triggered by "update stg xxx hi=0 lo=0" don't and you
have to hunt in the activity log.  The only reliabel way I have found to
track a migration task ending (there may be many processes both in parallel
and in a sequence) is to loop around doing 'q stg xxxx f=d" and look for
"migration in progress:  no".  Then I can also record how much data the
migration task has achieved.

All processes should say who they are and what they have done at start and
end.

It all makes life very difficult - not just for performance measurement but
for sanity in automating the management of a large adsm system.  I thought
at the time that Paul took on board my pleas (- which are needed by many
more than me) but, as yet, I have had no feedback as to whether any process/
messsage/consistency enhancements will make it into V3 of adsm server.

Paul has now left IBM so is probably not able to answer whether there is any
hope at V3 (are you listening Paul?).  I'm an optimistic sort of person ...

I know there are lots of other goodies to come in V3 but it would be nice to
know about these points from someone who is in a position to know, please.
Thanks.

Best wishes, Sheelagh

Sheelagh Treweek                         Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac
DOT uk
Sheelagh Treweek                         Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac
DOT uk
Oxford University Computing Services     Tel:   +44 (0)1865 273205
13 Banbury Road, Oxford, OX2 6NN, UK     Fax:   +44 (0)1865 273275