ADSM-L

Netware 3.12 tips

1997-07-17 10:30:08
Subject: Netware 3.12 tips
From: Jeff Connor <connorj AT NIMO DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 10:30:08 -0400
  I am in the planning stage for backing up 100+ Netware 3.12 servers to
our ADSM MVS Server.  Most of the Netware servers are in the same room as
the ADSM server but many are on the WAN attached via T1's. We are running
ADSM for MVS 2.1.10,TCP/IP 3.1, on a 9672-R54 with a 50GB disk storage pool
and a tape pool in Storagtek 4400 Silos with 4490 36-track E-tape
cartidges.  The disk pool is migrated to tape every morning. We are
currently backing up Windows NT/95, OS/2, and various flavors of UNIX
clients but have very little experience with ADSM and Netware.  Most of the
soon to be backed up Netware clients are currently using 16Mb token-ring or
10Mbit Ethernet NIC's.  All will eventually be using 100Mb Ethernet
although not many will be upgraded before I start backing them up.  All our
Netware servers are currently being backed up using Cheyenne Arcserve.  All
of  our other distributed platforms are being backed up with ADSM and I'm
trying to convince the Novell folks here to put the Netware server backups
under ADSM control as well.

  I would appreciate any feedback you can offer in regards to your level of
satisfaction using ADSM with Netware.  I'd also like to know any
performance tricks/tips you have come up with to get maximum throughput.
For example, how to run multiple concurrent backup processes automatically,
when are you using the compression option an when aren't you using it and
why, tuning parameters you found useful, anything performance related
beyond what is in the ADSM performance and tuning guide.  Is anyone backing
up Netware servers on a WAN to a centrally located ADSM server and if you
are what kind of bandwidth is there between the WAN clients and ADSM
server? How much data and how long does it take? Are there any major
"gotcha's" you've encountered with ADSM and Netware?  Anyone switched from
Arcserve to ADSM? What were some of the reasons you switched and what
issues came up if any?  Was switching from the GUI Arcserve backup client
to the ADSM command line client a big issue for the members of your
organization that perform backup and restore operations?

  IBM, are there plans for a Windows based GUI Netware client, like the one
provided with Arcserve, for ADSM sometime in the future?  Arcserve offers
an HSM feature. Does IBM plan to add HSM to the Netware client in the
future.  I know AvailHSM is the current solution but it appears to be a
costly option and doesn't lend it self well to our environment due to the
location our servers.  I think most ADSM customers would very much prefer a
native HSM option for the Netware client.  What do you ADSM users think?

Thanks,
Jeff Connor
Niagara Mohawk Power Corp.
Syracuse, New York