ADSM-L

Re: database size

1997-07-16 09:08:31
Subject: Re: database size
From: Christo Heuer <christoh AT ABSA.CO DOT ZA>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 15:08:31 +0200
> I have an adsm mvs server with several os/2 clients.  I have 2gb
> allocated to the storage pools, and 40mb allocated to the database.  I
> perform backups of the disk and tape pools, as well as the database, and
> also do reclaimation.  I notice that my database utilized percentage
> increases a couple of tenths percentage every day. Will this increase in
> size eventually curtail? (it's at 73% today, yesterday 72.8%)
>
> thanks alot,
> steve white

Hi Steve,

I assume that you have a fairly new ADSM server if your DB is 40 Meg,
so let me put it this way:
The database stores info about everything being backed up so
depending on how much data you eventually backup your DB will
grow and grow and grow - there are some people on the list with
massive ADSM DB's.
Things that you can look out for when you decide on the roll-out
of ADSM: If the database size is a concern - reduce your primary pool
to 1 Gig and give the other Gig to the DB.
Check how many versions you keep of each file - while it exists and
when deleted and decide whether this is really required.
Check the activity log retention days.
The admin guide gives some guide lines regarding sizing the db.
Example: If you have 100 GB allocated to your storage pools (Disk+tape),
then you will need between 1Gig and 5Gig of DB to track the files.
If you have copypools then you must add about 200 bytes per file backed up
to your copy pool.

The only way to stop the explosive growth of the ADSM database is to reduce
the number of files stored - (Either backing up less data or keeping data for
a shorter period of time).

Unfortunately this is all you can do apart from allocating more dasd for
your db.
At least you will see a steady decrease on the growth of the DB as
most of the clients complete their initial 'full' incr. backup. After then
hopefully only a few files should be added to your DB every night.

Regards

Christo Heuer
Johannesburg
South Africa