ADSM-L

Re: Server Daemon hangs and nodes not res

1997-07-15 07:58:32
Subject: Re: Server Daemon hangs and nodes not res
From: dan thompson <thompsod AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 06:58:32 -0500
Brian,

  I am afraid that I have very little help to offer you.  Due to the fact
that ADSM is a network based storage manager one of the most prevalent
problems is network problems.  I have not had a rash of problems that
cannot be attributed back to a network problem.  These problems on our end
are not usually failures as much as they are network maintenance.

However, when maintenance is done we are currently experiencing a very
large number of hung sessions.  These sessions often reach our Commtimeout
limit on the host end and the sessions appear to be cancelled.  The clients
seem to act as if waiting on a response on that session however.  It
appears as if neither the server or the client are aware of the session
being lost and react appropriately.

The only "solution" that I have at the current time is to write a program
that will run on the client and bounce the service periodically.  This will
obviously have to do a query session first to make certain that a session
is not already active.  I will keep you informed of any progress.

Dan T.