ADSM-L

Re: Novell Compressed files on uncompressed volumes

1997-07-11 17:16:39
Subject: Re: Novell Compressed files on uncompressed volumes
From: rmf <finnell AT EROLS DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 17:16:39 -0400
Chris Berthaut wrote:

> Well, it proves to me that ADSM handles Netware attributes well, but
> it's causing me a bit of a problem:
> I have ADSM backing up several servers. In a DR test, I wanted to
> restore files from one server (whose volume has compression enabled) on
> to another (whose volume does NOT have compression enabled). Everything
> looked like it was going to work, when all of a sudden, BLAMMO! I get
> the following messge
> (TSA400 4.6 333) Attempt to put compressed data on non-compressed
> volume.
> which then times out with an ANS4301E Server detected system error.
> Anyone know how I can get around this? For these files, it's not
> important to use SMS, so if there is any way to accomplish this someone
> let me know? Or is there a simpler way to specify it when restoring
> these files to the uncompressed volumes.
> Feel free to reply here or directly to me at cberthaut AT hiberniabank DOT com
> Thanks!!
> Chris Berthaut
> Hibernia National Bank
> New Orleans, LA
I think you have to turn compression on on the volumebecause ADSM
restores the 0 byte stub file and then SMS restores the compressed data
associated with the stub,thats why it seems to take forever to restore
some of the 0 byte files. Thats my take based on my understanding of
compression and SMS. Feel free to express differing opinions.
--
The opinions of the Captain are not necessarily those of MANAGEMENT!
The opinions of the Captain are not necessarily those of MANAGEMENT!