ADSM-L

Netware restore performance

1997-07-11 06:03:16
Subject: Netware restore performance
From: Matthias Brasch <M_Brasch AT COMPUSERVE DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 06:03:16 -0400
Hi to all ADSM'ers

I'm just running an catastrophic restore test of on of my Netware
4.11servers.
I'm very disappointed about the restore performance.
The ADSM-Server is MVS with an database of 4.8GB and 3490e tapes,
ADSM-lvl is 2.1.10.
There are 350.000 objects with 8GB size to restore.
Most of data is on tapes with collocation on.
When starting the restore for the first time the server has been running
out of
memory, so I switched 'slowincremental' to on.
The next action was to split the restore into two pieces and running
two adsm-nlm's on the Netware-server which restore different data.
Now it's already running 20 hours and I have restored 4 GB / 200.000 files.

I'm seeing something which I can't understand :
Whenever one of the two processes has to restore an directory the other
process seems to wait, also it reads from an different tape.
There are hundreds of  tape mounts and I see the same tapes
mounted  many times.

I've read in the 'adsm performance tuning guide'  that  I should give
an mc to the directories (DIRMC) to store them on harddisk an not
on tape.
Would this help to increase the restore-performance ?
Until now I'm storing my directories on tapes with collocation on.
How can I move directories which are stored on tape back to the disk-pool ?

I understood that running with slowincremental=no would restore the
directories first and the files after this.
Would this give better performance also I've not stored my dirs on disk ?
My problem is that running with this option on crashes my server.

How do the other ADSM'ers work when the have to restore an complete server
?
Do you use other product beside ADSM ?
I'm thinking of products which are able to run an image-backup of my
server-disks
an run the incremtal restore of adsm against it.
Does anyone have experience with image-backup-tools on Netware or
how do you handle the huge numbers of files ?

I know that this is a lot of questions shortly before the weekend...

But perhaps there is anyone out there with some hints for me...

Thanks in advance,

Matthias Brasch, HEW-Hamburg Germany
m_brasch AT compuserve DOT com