ADSM-L

Re: What has become of ADSM support?

1997-07-09 06:04:32
Subject: Re: What has become of ADSM support?
From: Peter Hadikin <phadikin AT BCIT.BC DOT CA>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 10:04:32 +0000
Melinda,

I had a problem a while ago trying to restore a Netware 3.12 server.
The ADSM client on the Netware side would hang during a restore of
the server.  Not only would the ADSM client hang but it would hang
the entire server.  The restore we were running was being performed
in an attempt to restore the data from a server that was redirecting
blocks quite heavily and eventually packed it in.  We were fortunate,
we were able to manually copy the files over to the new server and
update all the rights manually.  The Novell support person here at
BCIT was not impressed.

When I originally opened the problem with ADSM support it was at
priority 2.  I received one call back that asked the basic "what
version are you running type questions".  After waiting for some
suggestions for a week or so and not getting a call or anything I
requeued my problem.  I got a call back suggesting we do a trace.  No
problem except when the Novell server hangs the trace file ended up
without the last bit of the trace.  I was told the trace was not good
without the last piece of the trace.  No new suggestions.  Time went
on and about a week later the server with the redirects was really
getting ill.  I raised the priority to 1 and waited for a call back.
I heard nothing for about 10 days.  My manager asked for a status on
the problem and I sat there with my mouth open saying nothing.  He
called our local IBM manager and I go a call back the next day from
ADSM support.  The suggestion was to get another trace.  After
forwarding that to ADSM support I heard nothing again.  After another
week or so I requeued the problem.  By this time we had rebuild the
drive manually.  When I got a call back, the suggestion was to do a
TCP/IP trace from our VM system and also that we drop the problem to
priority 2 from priority 1 since the drive was now okay.

I have not done the TCP/IP trace because I do not have a server
available to mount a 9 GB drive on to try the restore.  Prior to this
problem I had all the confidence in ADSM.  Now I sweat a bit when we
have to restore a large amount of data.

Peter