ADSM-L

Re: Win $5

1997-07-08 11:18:10
Subject: Re: Win $5
From: Joe Morris <morris AT UNC DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 11:18:10 -0400
On Tue, 8 Jul 1997, Richard Sims wrote:

| >Does anyone out there know if there is a maximum size directory entry that
| >ADSM will back up?
|
| >The reason I ask is that I have an SGI client that hangs when it gets to a
| >directory entry that is over 2MB in size and has 66124 files in it. The
| >client dsmc process (incremental or selective) sits there eating CP time,
| >sending nothing over to the server.

| There is no such limit in ADSM.  As you note, the dsmc process doesn't
actually
| "hang" - it is trying valiantly to process the directory contents.  The
problem
| is that large directories are notoriously inefficient to process, as anyone
| who has run a large mail or news server can attest.  Your poor dsmc is sending
| nothing over to the server (yet) because it is so busy wading through that
| directory.  If there is any way you can render your directory structure
| less "flat", it will help improve both your dsmc and system performance (in
that
| there are obviously things using that directory on your system as well).

I concurr with this.  SunSITE UNC-CH has filesystems as large as 13GB (Sun
1000) comprised mostly of small files.  It gets a bit ugly.  But dsmc
gets the job done on a daily basis.  When dsmc hits a new large filesystem
during its processing, you should see a significant amount of CPU time as
it traverses the inode table of that filesystem.

Joe Morris  -  morris AT unc DOT edu  -  http://sunsite.unc.edu/morris
Academic Technology and Networks (formerly OIT), Development