ADSM-L

Re: ADSM & Novell NDS

1997-07-07 21:24:02
Subject: Re: ADSM & Novell NDS
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 21:24:02 -0400
A few things to check:

1) TSANDS.NLM is loaded (probably true)

2) ADSM NetWare client is at least at 2.1.0.6 (2.1.0.7 *strongly* recommended
due to problems with 2.1.0.6)

3) BCIT is the tree name for your NDS

4) When you installed ADSM on NetWare 4.11, you did *not* install the SMS
modules. You must use the modules that come with NetWare 4.11.

If all those things check out, then the problem most likely stems from a
NetWare ID/password combination that NetWare does not like. Here is how you
might be able to nail it down:

a) Edit DSM.OPT and do the following:

Comment out any NWPWFILE statements. The default value is 'YES' so let's go
with that.

Comment out any NWUSER statements.

b) After saving DSM.OPT, delete any *.PWD files you might have in your ADSM
directory (usually SYS:ADSM).

c) Issue the command LOAD DSMC

d) Once you get the "dsmc>" prompt, issue the command S DIR

e) You should be prompted for a NetWare user ID. If you are using a bindery
emulation name, make sure that the proper bindery context is set. Failure to do
so could result in the problems you are seeing. Alternatively, enter the
complete distinguished name of the user ID.

f) Enter the password for the NetWare ID when prompted.

g) If this still does not work:

Verify that the NetWare user ID/password is still valid (maybe someone
changed the password?).

Try logging on using that ID and password from a NetWare requester (DOS,
Windows, OS/2, or whatever you use).

Check the intruder lockout status and correct if necessary.

Verify that the ID has full supervisory rights to the root of the NDS tree
you are trying to back up.

Check that this ID is allowed a minimum of 2 concurrent connections.

Hope these tips help.

Andy Raibeck
ADSM Level 2 Support
---------------------- Forwarded by Andrew Raibeck/San Jose/IBM on 07/07/97