ADSM-L

NT RECOVERY ON DIFF. HW

1997-07-07 10:11:47
Subject: NT RECOVERY ON DIFF. HW
From: Henry Suhr <chwinsuc AT IBMMAIL DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 10:11:47 EDT
           From: Henry Suhr
           Mail: chwinsuc AT ibmmail DOT com

           Hello

           I've tried also Recovery Tests with NT/ADSM on different
           hardware.

           Out of this experience, I suggest the following procedure:

           1)Install NT on the new Hardware - complete, with all individual
           settings in the network ( Services, Protocols, ...)

           2) Reboot from a Repair-Partition (New Partiton is still C:)

           3)Run the macro

           rest {"Filespace"}\winnt\* c:\winnt\ -replace=no -subdir=yes
           rest {"Filespace"}\winnt\Profiles\* c:\winnt\Profiles\
           -replace=yes -subdir=yes
           rest {"Filespace"}\adsm.sys\registry\"Machinename"\machine\sam
           -subdir=no -replace=yes c:\winnt\system32\config\
           rest
           {"Filespace"}\adsm.sys\registry\"Machinename"\machine\security
           -subdir=no -repl c:\winnt\system32\config\
           rest
           {Filespace"}\adsm.sys\registry\"Machinename"\machine\software
           -subdir=no -repl c:\winnt\system32\config
           rest {"Filespace"}\adsm.sys\registry\"Machinename"\users\default
           -subdir=no -replace=yes c:\winnt\system32\config\

           4) Restore the rest of the non-system related files and logical
           drives

           5) Re-Install the services (see Mail from dan thompson 04/07)

           6) Boot the System

           Comment:

           If you just copy the old installation over the new installation
           (without the system file) it will work also, but if you look into
           the network settings, the adapter is shown will be the old one.
           That cause a lot of trouble if you have to change something.

           You have to reinstall all the services, because they are in the

           system hive.

           Summary

           This kind of recovery works for file-servers, with not to much
           services.
           But I think for Exchange Servers or something like this, it's
           better to set up a complete new system and restore only the data
           files.

           Suggestions of improvement are very welcome !!

           Henry