ADSM-L

ADSM MVS Server Tape survey.....

1997-07-07 10:09:21
Subject: ADSM MVS Server Tape survey.....
From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT THEHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 10:09:21 -0400
Date:     July 7, 1997             Time: 9:04 AM
From:     Jerry Lawson
          The Hartford Insurance Group
(860)  547-2960          jlawson AT thehartford DOT com
was suggested that I dedicate tape drives to my ADSM server.  I understand
why you do this on a non-System/390 server, but on MVS, this is not how my
shop does things.   Then I began wondering, if we should change our
thinking.. So I decided that perhaps a survey is in order.

If you have ADSM running an MVS server, could you please take a minute or
two, and reply to the following questions?   And to keep our esteemed List
moderator from getting mad at me, ***** PLEASE RESPOND TO ME DIRECTLY
**********   I will post the results when I think I have a good response.

1.  Do you share tape drives with the rest of your MVS workload, or do you
1.  Do you share tape drives with the rest of your MVS workload, or do you
dedicate tape drives to ADSM?

2.  If you dedicate, how many drives do you give ADSM?

3.  If you do not dedicate drives to ADSM, how high do you set the mount
limit in each DEVCLASS you have defined?

4.  What type of drives do you use (3480, 3490, 3590, or something else?)

5.  Do you use a robot?  If so - which one?

6.  If you have a robot, how many drives does it have?

7.  How many tape drives do you have in total.

8.  In round numbers, how much data do you back up each night?

9.  Do you use the copypool features?

That's all.
That's all.

AGAIN - PLEASE RESPOND TO ME DIRECTLY.   The address is:

     jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

                                                     Jerry
                                                     Jerry

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over..and expecting the results to
be different - Anon.