ADSM-L

Re: NT disaster recovery

1997-07-06 17:46:16
Subject: Re: NT disaster recovery
From: dan thompson <thompsod AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 16:46:16 -0500
Julie,

  Congratulations!!!  It is my opinion that your success is pretty
impressive considering that the design of NT has done almost everthing
possible to make success impossible.

I have one question.  In your final step, you state that you "booted from
c: partition".
Prior to doing this did you modify the boot.ini file to point to the NT
files on drive c: instead of drive d:?  If not, you loaded NT from the D:
drive and not the C: drive.  Please don't mail me any ticking packages if
this is true.

I think that the difference in HAL.DLL should be investigated a little
further by someone.  HAL, as you probably already know, stands for Hardware
Abstraction Layer.  There being a discrepancy in a DLL file is unusual if
NT is the same version/build.  I can only think of
a few possible causes of this.
  a) OEM versions of NT being used.
  b) HAL.DLL being modified by a fixpack.
  c) NT install copies over different versions of HAL.DLL depending on
machine type.
  d) Some processing by NT that builds unique versions of HAL.DLL for each
config.  I
      doubt that such a mutant process exists.

 It seems much easier to use your methodology of just copying the file from
the new build.  However, I am little uneasy about what else is different.

Good Luck,
  Dan T.