ADSM-L

Re: Automated Steps to Create Tapes for Disastere Recovery

1997-06-30 11:35:44
Subject: Re: Automated Steps to Create Tapes for Disastere Recovery
From: Mary Vollmer <Mary_Vollmer AT MGIC DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 11:35:44 -0400
We are doing just about the same thing and are handling it in this way:

We use OPC/ESA for our production schedule and rely on the pred/successor job
relationships to ensure that the commands are issued when the correct order.
We issue all these commands via batch jobs and use a different job for each
'grouping' of commands.  For commands that complete almost immediately, we just
issue the command.  For commands that may take from 5-10 minutes, we put a
'wait' step in the job that simply causes that job to just sit in the system
for the specified period of time and do nothing.  This gives ADSM enough time
to finish the command before the job finishes.  For commands that can take an
unknown amount of time (backup stgpool and backup db) we use the MPFLST00
member of sys1.parmlib to detect the message issued by ADSM indicating that the
function is complete which.  When it is detected, it marks a 'dummy' job in
OPC/ESA complete and then the next job can begin.  If you would like more
detailed info on any of this, please let me know.

In the previous Memo, dated, 06-27-97 05:48:06 PM, TEHorn @ COMPUSERVE.COM