ADSM-L

Re: Backing up open files on NT 4.0

1997-06-23 16:19:07
Subject: Re: Backing up open files on NT 4.0
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 16:19:07 -0400
For a file that you are unable to back up because it is open, try using the
COPY command from the NT command line prompt. If this is what I think it is,
you won't be able to copy it for the same reason that ADSM can't copy it.

The problem is that the application has opened the file with an attribute
called "DENY_READ". This attribute says that the application will have
*exclusive* access to this file, and that no other applications (including
ADSM) will be able to open this file, even if it is just for read access.

The copygroup serialization parameters (DYNAMIC, STATIC, SHRDYNAMIC, SHRSTATIC)
still depend on whether the OS allows ADSM to open the file. A file opened by
another application with "DENY_READ" is an operating system level of
restriction which ADSM is not designed to circumvent.

Other products that allow you to manage open files (such as OpenFileManager)
are doing some fairly sophisticated things to allow this to happen, including
maintaining the open file in a consistent state for the backup product to read,
while allowing other applications and users to access and update it as normal.
ADSM isn't built to do this, so I would hesitate to call it a "bug". I would
recommend that you contact your local IBM branch and ask that they enter a
formal requirement for this.

Regards,

Andy Raibeck
ADSM Level 2 Support