ADSM-L

Re: (Fwd) ADSM data security

2015-10-04 18:07:24
Subject: Re: (Fwd) ADSM data security
From: Pat Wilson [SMTP:paw AT NORTHSTAR.DARTMOUTH DOT EDU]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             My response to these questions, and we do get them, is to =
say, "If you
             are worried about privacy of data, encrypt the files on =
your machine."
              Doing so won't affect ADSM performance, as a strategy that =
encrypted
             during the backup process would.

             I think people are trained to ask this question but don't =
much follow
             thru on locking the door on the room that contains the =
machine, and
             other more basic measures.

             erl

I'm sorry - that's a bit of a copout.  There are many environments where
it's relatively easy to snoop on a network, but individual machines are
access-controlled.  Here, for example, we run encrypted telnet or ssh
between sessions on machines so casual sniffing can't read the traffic =
as
it happens, but if ADSM doesn't encrypt, then we're exposed during the
backup cycle anyway.

Also, for our uses, it makes much more sense to take a hit on the backup =
end
rather than everytime the file is accessed by a user process.

Pat Wilson
paw AT dartmouth DOT edu