ADSM-L

migrating ADSM from VM to AIX: machine 'costs'??

1997-06-19 14:42:30
Subject: migrating ADSM from VM to AIX: machine 'costs'??
From: "Joseph A. Faracchio" <SPGJAF AT CMSA.BERKELEY DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 11:42:30 PDT
I'm back!   After a year of (un)doing MVS (phewtooie) :-)
I'm back in the "Academic" group here at UCB.   So I'm back to
the care & feeding of our ADSM-on-VM system.

Now that ADSM (and AIX) are on HESC and our VM is scheduled for decommissioning
by the end of 1998, we want to migrate our ADSM from VM over to an AIX box.

We'd like to start out with the equivalent of what we've got/using on VM,
but in a configuration that has lots of head-room for growth:

We use:
        1/3 of 2 9672-R42 processors,
        4 3490 tape cartridge drives,
        5 Gigs of staging disk and 10 Gigs of Database storage
        ? Gig for OS & support areas.

So we're thinking:

        R6K-SP with 2 processors,
        15 Gig of ? disk drives
        4 ? tape transports
              (capable of being put on a robot is a requirement)
        (and for extra credit:  what robot to use?)

So by machine costs I don't mean prices but some configuration guidelines
would be appreciated.
                        Comments ?

                         thanks .... joe.f.

P.S.  I would just *love* to hear of an answer like:
      "We're giving a presentation on that at SHARE"
       so that I can go to Atlanta this summer!  :-=)