ADSM-L

how many tapes are checked in?

2015-10-04 18:07:24
Subject: how many tapes are checked in?
From: Carolyn Sienkiewicz [SMTP:cjsienki AT POP500.GSFC.NASA DOT GOV]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
I'm trying to set up some reporting for our operations staff to
be able to take care of our ADSM installation.  One thing they
need to know is how many tapes are checked-in but not used (how
many tapes are available for tonight's backup?).

I've been scrounging but haven't come up with this info from
any of the queries.  The closest I can find is 'q vol *'.  However,
this is only listing tapes that are either 'Filling' or 'Full'.
I know that there are other tapes available which are checked in
(scratch tapes), but they seem to only show up on this query
once they have been written to some.  Naturally, it's less than
desirable for the ops staff to have to keep track of what they've
put in the silo (the more they have to do, the more they end up
asking me questions, and the less truly automated things are),
so I'd rather be able to write my script in such a way that the
result is based on info obtained strictly from adsm.  Does
anyone have any clues they can pass me?

TIA,

Carolyn
RMS/NASA GSFC