ADSM-L

Backing up NT systems to ADSM

1997-06-11 07:35:33
Subject: Backing up NT systems to ADSM
From: John O'Connell <John.R.O'Connell AT SIEMENSCOM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 12:35:33 +0100
Hi,  I have 2 ADSM servers 1 on MVS & the other on AIX.  I use the MVS
one to backup the NT systems.
Could you please tell me your thru put when backing up NT systems
to ADSM.  We tried it at Siemens Communications a few months ago
and from what I could see the thru put problems we were having were
Network related.  The NT systems are on a busy 10MB ethernet lan
network.  Right now the NT environment is growing a there is a effort
starting again to centralize the backups.  The NT systems are using DLT
drives & tapes at a cost of $5,000 per system --- this includes a drive
& DLT cartridges --- cartridges cost $40 a piece.  I have suggested
putting the NT systems on a 100MB FDDI network.  Our AIX systems (which
have their own ADSM server) are on a FDDI network and I can back up a
15GB data base in about 3 hours -- the data base being backed up is
PROGRESS so there is no interface to ADSM for this type of database.
Has anyone encountered a simlar type of problem backing up NT systems
and how did you solve the problem?  Networking is not my speciality so
if there are other solutions besides a 100MB FDDI network please let me
know.

         Thanks

         John O'Connell
         Siemens Communications