ADSM-L

[no subject]

2015-10-04 18:07:24
The notion of archive is distinctly different from backup.  One shouldn't want
to archive everything, but rather just the important stuff.  Is a monthly
archive of a complete directory structure really necessary, or should we be
more specific?  The reality is, we can easily recreate the way the disk looked,
and we can even recreate the way most of the contents looked.  But some things,
like mission critical business data, are more difficult to recreate.

This boils down to analyzing what really should be archived.  The days of
keeping a copy of everything forever are over.  Too much data, too little time.

On a less philosophical note, one could fool ADSM by changing the volume name
on the NT disk.  This will create a new filespace name.  Use a different
management class for this "special" backup and keep it around for awhile.

Kelly