ADSM-L

Moving Node Data

2015-10-04 18:07:24
Subject: Moving Node Data
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 6/6/97 6:25PM
As Dwight pointed out, there is no way to consolidate the data by Node when
you move from one pool to another.  You might be able to gain some benefit
from doing a "Move Data" from the 3490 pool back to a disk pool, and then let
the disk migrate to the 3590.  In this manner, all of the files for a node
would be moved together to tape, but unless you could get a really big DASD
pool, this might not be of much benefit, unless your tape pool is really
fragmented.

As far as moving from one tape pool to another, we did much like Dwight
suggested - we set the reclaim thresholds high (100%), and let the tapes
expire for a while.  After we thought we were getting the most we were going
to easily see, we then set the threshold on the old pool low, and let the
tapes be reclaimed.  (We obviously set the old pool to migrate to the new
pool, where before there had been no migration set.)  This allowed the move
to take place without someone having to sit there and enter commands every so
often.  It went very smoothly.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
Date:    6/6/97 6:25 PM

Hello ADSMers,
We currently have a non-collocated 3490 tape storage pool which is used to
store data for most of our nodes. Now we would like to use a new
non-collocated 3590 tape pool for a select group of nodes. I know that
changing the 'destination' parameter in the copygroup will send new backup
data to the 3590 pool. The question I have is how to move the existing
backup data that is on the 3490 tape pool to the new 3590 pool. Are there
any 'undocumented' commands that will allow me to move data for a specific
node on a volume?
By the way, our ADSM server is 2.1.0.9 running on AIX 4.1.4.

Thanks in advance.

Have a nice day or whatever's left of it.

David Ong
National Semiconductor Corp.