ADSM-L

Re: Adsm Macintosh Client Backup Failures

1997-06-08 23:25:38
Subject: Re: Adsm Macintosh Client Backup Failures
From: Brett Walker <walkerbl AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 20:25:38 -0700
You said that ADSM is their only TCP/IP application, that everything else
is AppleTalk.  You might want to double check that TCP/IP is running over
the Ethernet or TokenRing, and not AppleTalk(MacIP).  In general, AppleTalk
is a very slow protocol, and it possible this could be a problem.

Go to the TCPIP Control Panel.  At the top of the Control Panel, there
should be a pull down menu with the label "Connect via:".  This should say
either "Ethernet" or "Token Ring".  If it says "AppleTalk(MacIP)" then try
using straight Ethernet.

Just a thought...

Brett
ADSM Development

>I submitted a question to this forum about two months ago regarding hang
>situations while attempting to backup a Macintosh client.  Since then,
>we've tried lots of things and I've acquired some additional information
>but the results haven't changed.
>
>The problem is that these Macintosh clients will consistently back up for
>30 minutes and then hang.  After the ADSM hang, other applications on the
>Mac will continue to run until we try to quit ADSM or shutdown the Mac; at
>that point, the entire Mac hangs.  An error log isn't created and the
>schedule log shows no indication of a problem.  We've bumped the ADSM
>memory on both Macs to 6M.
>
>We were originally running System 7.5.3 Revision 2.2 and System 7.5.3
>TCP/IP Version 1.1 but, upon recommendations from the forum, we upgraded to
>System 7.5.5 and Open Transport TCP/IP 1.1.2.  It didn't help.  We've been
>running the ADSM V2.1.0.6 client all along.  Their only TCP/IP application
>is ADSM; otherwise, they use Appletalk.
>
>We installed ADSM on some additional Macs within our company and isolated
>the problem to one particular Macintosh model, the PowerMac 9500/200.  We
>have three of these models and they all fail in the same way.  All the
>other models we have (PM 7600/132, PM 8100/80 and Quadra 650) backup just
>fine.
>
>Another difference we've noticed is that the backup rate on the 9500s is
>much slower (about 30Kb/s) compared to the other Macs (800-1000 Kb/s)
>
>Our Macintosh support engineer learned from Apple about a problem with the
>motherboard on this particular processor that affected network performance.
>We thought that must be our problem but were very disappointed when we
>replaced the board and it didn't seem to have any effect.  We've also tried
>backing up using the 68000 and PowerPC versions of the ADSM client, to no
>avail.
>
>Do any of you have any experience with using ADSM to backup specifically a
>PM 9500/200 or even any other PM 9500 models?
>
>Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.
>
>Dennis Schaffer
>Mutual of Omaha

Brett Walker                  ADSM Development, IBM
walkerbl AT vnet.ibm DOT com
"That's just my opinion; I could be wrong."
"That's just my opinion; I could be wrong."
      --- Dennis Miller