ADSM-L

ADSM and ThinkPads....

1997-06-06 15:36:58
Subject: ADSM and ThinkPads....
From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT THEHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 15:36:58 -0400
Date:     June 6, 1997             Time: 1:09 PM
From:     Jerry Lawson
          The Hartford Insurance Group
(860)  547-2960          jlawson AT thehartford DOT com
Here's a problem that has been around a while, but is really becoming
Here's a problem that has been around a while, but is really becoming
annoying, since now it applies to me.  Does anyone else find this annoying?
If so, I am thinking about putting this in as a "bug"  (as opposed to a
feature...

I have a ThinkPad 760E, but the problem is common to all ThinkPads with an
internal CD Rom in place of the Floppy drive.  (I haven't any experience with
other brands of Laptops - perhaps someone can comment on there experience).
Whenever ADSM starts, it goes out and checks the status of the installed
drives.  When it checks the floppy, since the device is not physically
present, it waits an extremely long time - I have one customer who says that
it takes several minutes for his machine to respond.  The wait on my machine
seems to be about 30 seconds.  The real annoying thing is that even with the
muti-tasking capability of the hardware and software, this is a single
threaded situation, and the whole machine is locked up until ADSM wakes up
and decides the drive isn't available.

I think this is a bug, and the time out value is set too high - 5 seconds is
long enough to check for the drive - after all if it isn't installed, I'm not
going to install it in the next 5 seconds anyway..  What do you think?

BTW, I have seen this on Win95 and Win NT 4.0 -- Haven't tried it on OS/2
yet....

                                                     Jerry
                                                     Jerry

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over..and expecting the results to
be different - Anon.