ADSM-L

Re: Database backup trigger

1997-06-06 07:00:15
Subject: Re: Database backup trigger
From: Werner Baur <Werner.Baur AT LRZ-MUENCHEN DOT DE>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 13:00:15 +0200
One of my servers has the same problem. I reported it to IBM a year ago
(pmr 4948X) for ADSM version 1. At this time IBM could not offer a
solution.
Finally I configured a workaround which is running now for a year:
I have defined a periodically db backup schedule which is running every
6 hours and has a list of about 30 free volumes (depends on the capacity
of your tapes). There is no need to define for every run it's own volume
list. The backup skips the volumes which are already used by previous
backups. Only from time to time I had to recycle the volume list.
Additionally I have defined a device class of type FILE which holds 2
gigabyte of disk space. The databasetrigger is defined for this device
class.
The frequency of the db backups ensures that the trigger should be
almost never activated. And for the rare case a triggered dump is
necessary the backup goes to disk.

Not the most beautiful approach, I know, but it works for me.

Werner

Kirsten Gloeer wrote:

> We want to define a database backup trigger.
> Unfortunately, we don't have any scratch volumes.
> Is it possible to define a database backup trigger
> for any other volumes?
>
> Thanks in advance, Kirsten.

> Kirsten Gloeer                  e-mail: kirsten AT nic DOT de
> University of Karlsruhe         Phone:  +49 721 608-6156
> Computing Center                Fax:    +49 721 373741
> Zirkel 2
> 76128 Karlsruhe
> Germany

Werner Baur
Leibniz-Rechenzentrum   X.400: S=Baur;OU=lrz;P=lrz-muenchen;A=d400;C=de
Barer Str. 21          RFC822: Werner.Baur AT lrz DOT de
D-80333 Muenchen         Tel.: ++49-89-28928781
Germany                   Fax: ++49-89-2809460