ADSM-L

Setting up ADSM (fairly new install)

1997-06-05 02:04:01
Subject: Setting up ADSM (fairly new install)
From: Gary Luther <GKL AT MHESAC DOT ORG>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 23:04:01 MST
Begging forgiveness for asking such a low tech question. I have been
reading the listings faithfully for nearly a month but the answer to
my concerns has not exactly surfaced. (Sorry for the length of this,
but want to explain the environment.)

ENVIRONMENT:
RS/6000  R30, 24GB disk, 3490-e11, ADSM

We are currently doing a nightly incremental. We have been able to
recover files in the past but I am now on tape 11 and think there has
to be a better way to run this ship.

I want to be able to have a set of tapes to take offsite for disaster
recovery. I have been reading several ADSM things on DR. Not all of
what I read makes sense and so I must assume that I am missing some
key concept that would clarify this picture.

Here's what I want to do:
1) Run  unattended backups (incremental) ** currently doing this
2) Keep my tape volumes from growing to infinity ** not currently a
problem but will eventually be as this machine aquires more
applications.
3) Create an offsite tape or tapes that, at least for now would be
done weekly.

I have read in the ADSM Admin Guide on page 272-273 a reference to a
Full Storage Pool Backup. The example states, I think, what I want to
be able to do. I can't seem to get into my head how to make this work
with my situation.

I only have one client, the RS/6000. I have defined 1 Policy Domain
(ADSM_MHESAC), with 1 Policy Set named AIXBKPOLICY, with 1 Management
Class  named ACTIVEFILES, no archive group, 1 backup group, and one
tape pool. The files are backed up (currently incremental) via the
scheduler directly to the tape pool which is my primary pool.

With one tape drive currently ( we may be getting a 3570 with two
drives, I hope, I hope) I don't really understand how to do what they
are talking about on page 272-273.

I would greatly appreciate some enlightenment. I think I've read most
every thing in the manuals and I still have no clue. I your answer is
..."Read the blankety, blank manual!!!", that's valid. I won't be
offended, just point me to a section or sections that will clear this
mess up for me.  Thanks in advance for anyone that can shed some
light on this for me.
Gary K. Luther                      gkl AT mhesac DOT org
2500 Broadway                   aixapl2 AT initco DOT net
Helena, MT 59601    http://www.initco.net/~aixapl2
406-444-0631    FAX: 406-444-0684