ADSM-L

Re: Setting adsm options for trace.

1997-06-03 01:01:29
Subject: Re: Setting adsm options for trace.
From: George R Hanebury <eacgrh AT EXPEC DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 08:01:29 +0300
> Hi,
>
> Does anybody have the syntax for the trace option that should go in dsm.opt.
> I have some problems on a Novell machine and want to run a trace to see
> where it's going wrong. If you can tell me where to find the documentation I
> would
> be a happy chappy too.
>
> TIA
>
> Regards
>
> Christo Heuer
> Johannesburg
> South Africa
> Christoh AT absa.co DOT za

Hi Christo,

I'm not an expert when it comes to the TRACE option but I've managed
to find some information in the "Trace Facility Guide", document number
SH26-4057-00.

Basically you specify an output file:

   TRACEFILE filespace

Then you specify the flags:

   TRACEFLAGS flags

Allowable flags are:

ALL               All traceflags except INSTR, INSTR_CLIENT, DETAIL,
                  INSTR_VERBOSE
ADMIN             Administrative component
ALLCOMM           Enables COMM, 3270COMM, EHLLAPI, 3270ERROR
ALLSESS           Enables SESSION, VERBINFO, SESSVERB, VERBADMIN
ALLFILE           Enables DIROPS, FILEOPS, FIOATTRIBS
ALLBACK           Enables INCR, TXN, POLICY
ALLPROC           Enables ALLBACK, ALLFILE, ALLSESS
API               API tracing
AUDIT             List files backed up or restored (Macintosh and Windows)
COMM              Communications interface
COMMDETAIL        Detailed communications
COMPRESS          Compression, expansion processing
CONFIG            Configuration file processing
DIROPS            Directory operations
EHLLAPI           PC3270W V3.0 EHLLAPI tracing
ENTER             Entering or exiting a major functions
ERROR             Severe errors tracing
FILELISTS         User interface file list processing
FILEOPS           File I/O operations
FIOATTRIBS        File and directory attributes during backup and archive
FS                File space processing
GENERAL           General process flow operations
INCR              Incremental process operations
INSTR             Instrumentation tracing
INSTR_CLIENT      Client entry or exit and network times
INSTR_CLIENT_DETAIL  Print detailed process information
INSTR_VERBOSE     Print all and final time statistics
LINK              Hard link processing
MEMDETAIL         Detailed memory tracing
MEMORY            Memory allocation, buffer pool
MESSAGES          User interface event messages
NLS               National Language Support processing
POLICY            Policy management tracing
PREFIX            Adds module(line number) tracing suffixes to messages
SERVICE           Enables ALL -NLS -COMMDETAIL
SESSION           Session layer tracing
SM                Space Management tracing
SMSDEBUG          Storage Management Services
SMVERBOSE         Space Management detailed tracing
TIMESTAMP         Timestamps on trace records
TRUSTED           Trusted Communications Agent
TXN               Backup and Archive Transaction list processing
VERBADMIN         Administrator Datastream tracing
VERBINFO          Client-server Verb fields contents tracing
3270COMM          Low-level 3270 for Windows tracing
3270ERROR         Low-level 3270 error tracing (Windows)

To leave particular flags off, preface the flags with a dash.

Example:

TRACEFLAGS ALL -COMMDETAIL -NLS

-- Rick Hanebury
   eacgrh AT expec DOT com