ADSM-L

Win NT Bare Metal Restore

1997-05-30 23:48:48
Subject: Win NT Bare Metal Restore
From: Julie Phinney <julphinn AT EMPHESYS.E-MAIL DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 23:48:48 EDT
Has anyone recovered Win NT during a disaster recovery test (where
you assume your hardware has been destroyed)?  I don't know much
about Win NT, but have been planning to bring a ZIP drive to the
hotsite this summer to do a Win NT recovery (per the Bare Metal
Restore Redbook).  But I have to assume I will not have the same
physical machine that the backup was done on.  I was told today
that since there is hardware info stored in the registry, if you're
not restoring to the same machine, you have to re-install NT.  I'm
wondering, any of you NT experts, how close does the hardware have
to be?  If we have replacement hardware that is the same brand (HP)
and same speed and same T/R card, is that close enough?  Or perhaps
same hard drive model?  Will NT somehow know that physically it's
a different machine, and we'll have to reinstall anyway?  I guess
what I'm asking is, how close does the replacement hardware have
to be?
THANKS!!!
Julie Phinney
JPHINNEY AT EMPHESYS.E-MAIL DOT COM