ADSM-L

Win95 bare metal restore

1997-05-30 16:26:58
Subject: Win95 bare metal restore
From: Michael R Vogt <vogt AT AUK.NIST DOT GOV>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 16:26:58 -0400
I read the Redbook on bare metal restores for Windows 95 and cannot for the
life of me understand the procedure for backing up the base system.

I do not have a locally attached backup device or an OS/2 system available,
so it looks to me like my only choice is to create bootable DOS diskettes,
as explained in the DOS/Windows 3.1 procedure.

Is this correct? And if so, where do I find all those files? Quite a few are
nowhere to be found on my Windows 95 system. Do I need to find an old Win 3.1
system or is there an alternate list of Win 95 files that I can use?

I also do not understand why ERU is used to backup system config files. When
is that backup used in the recovery process if I am doing a full restore
using the DOS diskettes?

And as an aside.... Why not just reinstall the "compact" version of
Windows 95, then reinsall the 32-bit/ADSM and do the full restore? Seems
to me that it's not just a matter of which goes quicker, a restore of the base
system accross the network or a reinstall from CD-ROM, BUT is the time saved
worth all the hassle involved in making bootable DOS diskettes with the DOS
version of ADSM??

Any HELP would be GREATLY appreciated :-)

Michael