ADSM-L

Recovery log backup?

2015-10-04 18:08:07
Subject: Recovery log backup?
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 5/29/97 5:45PM
You are correct - you can't backup the recovery log - it is a moving target.
Assuming you have a regular DB Backup (full and/or incremental), you can get
back to the point of that backup.  The worst case scenario (you loose your
entire complex) means that you will loose what has happened since that last
backup operation - of course assuming that the backup tapes are safe,
etc.....

For things less than your worst nightmare, you should mirror your recovery
log.  For example, if you lose a DB volume, you could restore your DB, which
will use the recovery log for complete recovery.  But if you loose an
unmirrored recovery log, you are exposed to loss of data.  Of course you
could mirror the DB too, but we have elected to not, since this is on a RAID
device.  Currently my DB is 7.5 GB, but the recovery log is only 600MB - in
roll forward, it still does not get to 80% full during a normal day.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
Date:    5/29/97 5:45 PM

As near as I can tell, I don't have to backup and restore the
recovery log, right?  If I have a good database backup and restore,
that's all I need?  Thanks..
Julie Phinney
JULPHINN @ EMPHESYS.E-MAIL.COM