ADSM-L

How do I transfer a dbbackup from 3590 tape to file/tape

1997-05-20 14:36:03
Subject: How do I transfer a dbbackup from 3590 tape to file/tape
From: Owen Crow <crow AT SUGAR-LAND.MIS.SLB DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 13:36:03 -0500
I've got a dbbackup from my 2.1.0.10 server on a 3590 tape. I would like
to use the backup on a temporary server w/o a 3590 to investigate what
files were lost on a bad tape. I've tried

    dd if=/dev/rmt0.1 of=db19970501.1

which outputs:

    0+3 records in
    0+1 records out

and a file of only 240 bytes. When I try it again with

    dd if=/dev/rmt0.1 of=db19970501.2

I get the following error:

    dd read error: Not enough space
    0+0 records in
    0+0 records out

If I try it twice more, I get another small file and then just i/o
errors. I assume I'm going about this all wrong. Is there any way
to transfer a dbbackup to the other system via the network (neither
system has a common type of tape drive)?

Thanks,

Owen Crow
UNIX System Administrator