ADSM-L

Re: Multiple ADSM servers & multiple tape drives.

1997-05-19 12:06:39
Subject: Re: Multiple ADSM servers & multiple tape drives.
From: "BELL, CRAIG" <rcbell AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 09:06:39 PDT
I'm afraid all you're seeing here is ADSM's drive alternating- it went to the
other drive on the retry, as it alternates the drives for each transaction,
provided that the other drive is not busy with another transaction.

Craig Bell

**  Morris.Marshael wrote:
**  >
**  > One question about tape drives and ADSM.  If you have two tape drives
      connected
**  > to one server, is ADSM smart enough to backup to the opposite tape drive
**  > in the event the first has failed?
**
**  [stuff deleted]
**
**  It worked for us with a 7331-205 tape library, ADSM 2.1.0.12,
**  AIX 3.2.5 and the latest AIX device driver (one tape drive refused
**  to spit out a tape and had to be replaced). The server recognized
**  the failure and used the other drive. But I cant't remember wheather
**  the server canceld the backup session (which means that the client
**  must retry the backup) or switched over immediately. Somewhere in
**  ADSM is a parameter called "maxretries" or "retrylimit" or something
**  similar. Make sure you set it to a value greater than 1.