ADSM-L

reclaim problems with 3494 silos

1997-05-14 15:42:33
Subject: reclaim problems with 3494 silos
From: "Purdon, James" <james_purdon AT MERCK DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 15:42:33 -0400
Hi,

  We have a 3494 library with 3590 drives.  We have a couple of
tape-based primary pools and a couple of tape-based copy pools.  As a
slot-saving measure, we keep full volumes in one of the primary pools
and all of the copy pools outside the silo.

  The full copy pool volumes are marked "offsite" and work as you would
expect.  However, we can't
mark primary pool volumes as "offsite" and have discovered a problem
(which we are trying to report to IBM even as I write this but they say
they are too busy to talk to us right now).  When one of the extra-silo
primary pool volumes is required as the result of a restore, retrieve,
or move data operation, messages appear on the ADSM console signalling
our operators to checkin the volume.  However,
if the operation is a reclaimation, ADSM does not prompt the operators
to checkin the volume.  Instead, it marks the volume as "unavailable",
which spoils it for use in any subsequent operation.

  This has got to be a bug.  In my opinion, ADSM should always ask the
operators to checkin a checked out volume.  So, has anyone else run into
this, and is there any hint as to when it might be fixed?

Jim