ADSM-L

Re: VOLH Question

2015-10-04 18:08:07
Subject: Re: VOLH Question
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 5/14/97 4:32PM
I have a little egg on my face - when I gave you my original response I had
forgotten about the ADSM reuse delay, and was thinking of the TMS feature.
In that scenario, the extra time TMS buys you is useless, since ADSM wouldn't
know about the tapes at that point.

There was another post yesterday about volumes in a "pending" status that
explains the reuse delay logic very well.

I think the point of the STGD and STGN records is just to be able to rebuild
your DB if you have to do a forward recovery.  Certainly, if you can only go
back 6 days maximum for that recovery, then keeping the records longer than
that is a waste of DASD space, especially when you consider what happens to a
tape once it is returned to TMS.  When we do the Del VOLH command, we specify
"all", and not just DB tapes for deletion.  As it is, we have over 6000
entries in the file.

Sorry for the confusion I caused.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com