ADSM-L

How to handle DBBackup's

1997-05-12 16:11:56
Subject: How to handle DBBackup's
From: Peter Thomas <Peter_Thomas AT MANULIFE DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 16:11:56 -0400
From: Peter Thomas on 05/12/97 04:11 PM

What approachs are peo0ple using to handle in an automatic manner the
DBBACKUP process?

I have a STK 9710 library with 3 DLT 7000's attached to an RS/6000 Server.
Right now we''re doing an automatic DBBACKUP using a Scratch tape, then, on
a daily basis deleting the Vol History records to retrun the old tapes to
Scratch status.

Ideally though, I'd like to identify what tapes are being used for the DB
Backup, send the newest one to offsite storage, recall the oldest, and
then, once it's back on site, drop it from the Vol History.

Would I better off using a DevClass associated with type "file" and
arranging to have the resulting data "cloned" to another server (possibly
one at a different location)...

Suggestions / Commnets woule be greatly appreciated!

Peter Thomas
Manulife Financial
Phone: (416)963-7371
Fax: (416)926-5454