ADSM-L

Novell 4.11

2015-10-04 18:08:07
Subject: Novell 4.11
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 5/9/97 10:04AM
This is not well documented in the Installing the clients manual, but the
answer is yes.

ADSM, in order to shut down the Bindery in NetWare 3.x, and I assume the NDS
structure in NetWare 4.x, must have an id with Supervisory rights.  Sooooo -
you have 3 choices here.

1.  Use the Supervisor id

2.  Use your id (or someone who has Supervisor rights)

3.  Establish an id specifically for ADSM to use.

We elect to follow step 3 - that way if something goes wrong, you have some
auditability on who did it.  Specifically - if you have someone hose the
system, and they used "Supervisor" to do it, ADSM can't be blamed.

You should also check the NWUSER parm for DSM.OPT - it lets you define the
userid and password so that it doesn't have to be entered each time you start
ADSM.  I also turn off password encryption (NWPWFILE NO) - I have had
problems with ADSM not getting the info straight, and still ask for the user
id and password (usually at 1:00 AM when the backup kicks off).

I test the process by doing a Bindery/Directory selective backup when I
establish the ID to insure that ADSM will not ask for the userid and
password.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
Date:    5/9/97 10:04 AM

Does ADSM require an ID for the Novell LAN in order to do backup and
restore?

We have a problem right now on all of our Novell servers where Adsm is
asking for a username and password, other than the normal password for Adsm
backup.

We are getting the error ANS4974E login denied to NetWare server.
In the read.me file for adsm, this error is referenced and points to APAR
IC13010 as a document that explains acceptable ways to specify NetWare user
names.  I was unable to locate this document on the ibm web site.  I ran
into an area that requires authentication.

Our backups are not working due to this error, and I can find no
information in the manuals that I have.

Rob Lefebvre
Schreiber Foods, Inc.
Robl AT sficorp DOT com