ADSM-L

Re: NT client - ntuser.dat?

1997-05-09 11:11:02
Subject: Re: NT client - ntuser.dat?
From: Mark Simonds <msimond AT USWEST DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 09:11:02 -0600
This is a late response to a three week old thread.

The thread discussed problems backing up the ntuser.dat
file on NT 4.0 machines.
This file is locked when users are logged in, so ADSM
can't backup the file.

I just learned about a product developed by Cheyenne Software
and marketed by St. Bernard Software called Open File Manage.
(http://www.stbernard.com/Products/ofm/datasht.html#Requirements)

Open File Manager's purpose in life is to deal with file locking
on NT machines. It allows locked files to be accessed and thus backed
up.
They advertise ADSM support. :)

The issue of locked files on NT certainly goes beyond ntuser.dat.
It also pertains to things like Notes, Exchange, and SQL Server.

I have no experience with this product and would like to ask those
knowledgeable people in our ADSM community to tell us about it.

  Mark Simonds
  aka. Backup Boy

  U.S. West  ~  Life's Better Here
Systems Analyst | (303)624-3482 | msimond AT uswest DOT com